Wednesday, April 20, 2011

....

Today I was just wondering how should I plan to save the tax I pay. One of the so called experts suggested that you should go for equity tax funds. I was wondering what does they mean. Ok! fine .. lets try was my answer.

There is a lot of technical jargon surrounding those. Some one has suggested you see the name of fund manger in addition to fund name .. some suggested to check the past performance .. which again is a question mark. considering the risk disclosure statement - past performance may not be sustained in future ...

Then I happened to see the full portfolio of what each fund holds. Ironically, I find that most of the funds hold similar stocks.. to be more precise stocks with huge market capitalisation comprise their portfolio. As is self explanatory, some of them are also not growing as expected. For Gods sake,, rumours and speculations rule the roost. India is never devoid of talent and there are many great fund managers in India, some of them are experts at the field of investing.

What lacks is the diversity. There are very few options if we dig deeper into this ELSS business. If any financial intellectual is reading this, I have only one question. Is there any ELSS fund where investor can pick his share of allotment to stocks - large mid small cap and money market.

May be it is time for Indian Industry to come up with a balanced ELSS fund where good share of money is invested in money markets and part of it can be kept as cash/call.

6 comments:

Ravindra Reddy said...

very good article

Regards,
Ravindra Reddy

Ravindra Reddy said...

Hi Prashanth,

Brief about me, am from Proddatur and '00 batch from BHAVANA, now working for MNC in USA, preparing for civils.
Would you pls suggest me some good books for MAINS-GS,PA. it would be great if you share any material on my eMailID.Appreciate your help.

thanks!

Ravindra Reddy
(win.ias11@gmail.com)

pk said...

hi dude,, refer some of earlier blogs for mains GS

but PA .. u refer to all standard books .. I think I hv mentioned them in earlier posts

Good luck

Ravindra Reddy said...

Bunch Of Thanks Prashanth.
Keep updated your blog with your valuable suggestions for the civils Aspirant's.
Regards,
Ravindra Reddy

PRATHAP said...

Hi Anna,

Are you Prasanth from Muddanur..

Anonymous said...

I am aspiring for Civil Services and Indian Forest Services Exam.I am XIIth passed

out.Now, there is 1 optional in Civil Services and 2 in IFS.i am going to do B.Sc

honours in that subject which I will select as 1 optional in above exams.I have three

choices Physics,Chemistry and maths. I am going to start B.Sc Honours this year

(2013) from Delhi university.I want to know few things:

1.This time DU is doing 4 year programme giving B.Sc major for 3 years and B.Sc

honours for 4 years.So, which is more beneficial completing graduation in 3 years

and focussing on Civil services/Indian Forest Services Exam or completing full 4

years and then focus on these. Note:3 year degree makes me eligible for Civil

Services/IFS exam.
Actually, I just want to know Is not it good to invest 4th year in preparation

inspite of wasting it for honours degree as UPSC demands more and it is to be read

from another prescribed books.

2.Among Physics,Chemistry and maths which subject is more suitable for me to

take optional. You can consider i have good command over all these 3 subjects.Tell

me this in priority order of the subject suitability.

3.I am also aspiring for Indian Forest Services Exam.So, I am considering of taking

Forestry subject as 2nd optional with 1st optional among the above.What do you

say? I can also select both 2 optionals from above, but I read that both 2 science

optionals may be risky as syllabus is very vast and they are demanding.Further,

forestry syllabus looks somewhat smaller.What do you say?

4.If I do M.Sc after B.Sc,will it do any good?As i would I have more command on

the subject.but, I think it would be more beneficial if I spend 2 years on the subject

inpite of spending those 2 years in doing post graduation as the above exams nedd

differnet approach and also we have to study from different books.

5.Which coaching is good for Physics,Chemistry and maths?I have heard of

DIAS.What about it? What about others caoching?

Email me at sonukumar01250@gmail.com