Tuesday, May 19, 2009

All about current affairs books

Current affairs part constitutes a major in Civil Services exam. It is also a bit tough and puts exacting demands on the aspirant. It is the very dynamic part and keeps changing continuously. Below are my honest observations of a few magazines which cater to this part. People who get offended are requested to take things in the lighter vein.

I too had come across a few magazines and knowingly or unknowingly used to buy a few of them so as to make my preparation easy. First it was the Chroni"KILL". It was so exhaustive. They term it as current affairs but I don't understand if some of the topics form part of current affairs last year. Irony.

Now I need to mention about another called "Lizard". It is just the dumpiest of all. All news paper articles will be dumped in the point forms. God ! we already have newpapers to serve that purpose.

Then it is about some BC Reddi Current Events and Analysis. The analysis part will be ok compared to other things but man you miss some current events and make the name itself a misnomer.

Have you ever heard about TIMES(not monthly magazine but current affairs special)- I could not find sufficient time to dig deep into it. Comments are most welcome.

After wasting so much time finding which one is the best, I conclude no size fits all and its upto the individual to come to a conclusion. But my honest opinion goes below.

Rely mostly on internet and a wide variety of newspapers rather than magazines atleast if you have time. Develop some interest in whatever you study and try to analyse various dimensions. Only then a comprehensive answer can be written and that too it will avoid last minute rush of buying magazines, mugging them up and ................

It is quite unfortunate that I found this only during my 3rd attempt and lost some valuable time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, This is pretty confusing. I am sure you are doing a good job by writing a blog about your ias experience. But please let me know which magazine is more suitable from the exam point of view. Appreciate your work.

Examantra said...

Dear fellow aspirant, benchmark yourself against the best by taking the PrepCue All India CSE Prelims 2016 Challenge, free for a limited period at www.prepcue.com